URL: http://api.my.yahoo.com/rss/ping Parameter(s): u= HTTP method: GET Mama's Doodles: WIP

10.10.2006

WIP


I started this painting well over a month ago. I have been playing around with it the past couple of days, and hope to finish it soon.

The original idea was for Kenzie's bathroom, which still needs to be painted as well. Kenzie loves to swing, and this is a little version of her swinging from a tree. Where the tree comes in, is unclear .. as we don't have a tree swing. :) Artist's interpretation I guess.

I'm hoping that by sharing it here, I'll be accountable to finish the thing. So far - it's an oil painting, with collage pieces (the grass is paper strips glued on in individual itsy bitsy pieces. The tree is collaged bits of bark from our River Birch trees in the backyard. I love the peeling bark that has so many different shades and textures.) Kenzie's dress is a bit of fabric. And, there's still a whole lot to be done to it. There will be flowers along the grass line, maybe a mushroom or two, and I think I'll change the little birdie into an owl. Who knows?

It'll be fun to see how it evolves into a finished piece.

I've always loved painting, ever since college - where I got a Bachelor's in Fine Arts (BFA), which was result of pursuing Art Therapy as my major - forcibly requiring me to take (at least one) class in just about every art medium there is. I don't think I've painted any actual paintings since school, where I lost the passion for it after all the anxiety-ridden critiques and feeling like I was pulling a painting theme completely out of my arse just to meet a deadline (at the last minute). I had to do a Exhibit show to graduate, and I had done a series of 7 paintings that were included. They were my favorite of all time, and they all got stolen out of the Exhibit room, which was left unlocked for people to pass through freely during the entire week that Exhibits were in place. I ended up with one painting left after the thief made off with my best work. I think that killed a bit of the passion too.....

Let's see if I can find it again. :)

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

adorable painting. it's very similar to your fabric work - which is a good thing! how big is it? (sorry if you said already - i can't view your original post whilst commenting and i can't remember whether you said or not)

6:29 PM  
Blogger Jo in NZ said...

This is just gorgeous Stacy. I love that you have incorporatred other resources, like the bark etc to give it texture.
Great job. Now, you see, you have something else to add to your etsy repotoire (sp) you could do fantastic art for kids rooms. I'm going to make you into a self supporting artist if it's the last thing I do !!! lol

8:07 PM  
Blogger beki said...

Absolutely beautiful Stacy! Seeing your work really does inspire me. I don't know why I never thought of collage. Now I have to add something else to my long list of things I want to try.

Reading your story about your stolen art just breaks my heart. I would be devestated! I only took one art class in college and it was too painful for me. Those critiques killed me. It wasn't until I got fed up with the instructor and went out on my own and tried mixed media that my teacher exclaimed that I had made my breakthrough (it was a drawing class and up until then we had only used charcoal). Those critiques are why I stuck with Art History as my major. Looking back, I wasn't ready to reveal myself. Art is such a personal expression. I was too afraid.

7:58 AM  
Blogger beki said...

Absolutely beautiful Stacy! Seeing your work really does inspire me. I don't know why I never thought of collage. Now I have to add something else to my long list of things I want to try.

Reading your story about your stolen art just breaks my heart. I would be devestated! I only took one art class in college and it was too painful for me. Those critiques killed me. It wasn't until I got fed up with the instructor and went out on my own and tried mixed media that my teacher exclaimed that I had made my breakthrough (it was a drawing class and up until then we had only used charcoal). Those critiques are why I stuck with Art History as my major. Looking back, I wasn't ready to reveal myself. Art is such a personal expression. I was too afraid.

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home