URL: http://api.my.yahoo.com/rss/ping Parameter(s): u= HTTP method: GET Mama's Doodles: Soliciting advice..

5.11.2007

Soliciting advice..



I've finally finished painting my bedroom and attached office. The main rooms are a light greenish color, with single accent walls in a rich chocolate brown.



The hunt is on for window treatments, french doors, and more wall art, but I'm perplexed. I like nice clean lines, nothing too obnoxious. So, what would you do in this room with window treatments, throw pillows on the bed/chair, etc.?

We just picked up the picture we had framed, yesterday (which is on the wall above the chair, but blurred in the room photo). It's a fingerpainted mess that Kenzie & I did last year. It's really cool in person and we're really pleased with it. BTW, everything is larger than it appears in these photos. The room is large, the bed is large, the armoire is large. It all looks a bit miniature in these pics. Not to mention the colors aren't quite right, but I'm disinterested in trying to photograph it again.



Finally, I'm not opposed to recovering the bench. We bought the comforter because it had all the colors of the bench...but the bench is missing the orange color, and it looks "ok" but not quite right. So, perhaps that's the problem piece that needs to be overhauled along with the addition of the other elements???

I enjoy the styles of so many other bloggers, and am hoping that someone might send me in a direction that will pull this room altogether. I'm almost wondering if solid window panels and throw pillows is the way to keep it serene. But, what color? Or, if there is a fabulous print out there that will blend well, I'm all for it.
Any wise ideas?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Damselfly said...

No wisdom here, but I love that bedspread!

For window treatments, my own taste usually stays simple. Maybe just a simple scarf-like swag above/around the windows?

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous. I love the comforter. It's hard to know without being in the room, but I'd be inclined not to have the bench right next to the bed like that. It seems to clash that close, but it should stay in the room. Perhaps take out one of the armchairs and have the bench with some throw pillows in the orange it's missing in its place? As for the windows and art - I have no idea. Something that accentuates the vertical perhaps? Hard to know without being in the room. Good luck with it!! andi.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Java Mama said...

Decorator I am not, but since you asked . . . I love roman shades. They are simple and depending on the fabric chosen they can add texture, an accent print or color to your existing decor. The room is beautiful. Great job!

6:03 PM  
Blogger beki said...

Pretty room! For window treatments, I'd probably go with either a roman shade or panels, solid with maybe a band of color somewhere. I think the bench and comforter work together, but maybe not right next to each other. Because your comforter makes such a statement, I'd keep all other textiles simple.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I'm always confused when it comes to decorating large bedrooms -- I don't know what to do with all that space!

One thing I'm learning about art in my bedroom is that I need to group it -- right now I have a bunch of little stuff all over the place and it doesn't look right. So if you add more art, something to keep in mind.

I tend not to like any window treatment that isn't functional. (no swags, etc.) I think a more substantial blind/shade (maybe something warmer than white) would look good. Maybe even some sort of natural material?

I think the striped bench looks fine with the bedspread. I wouldn't do a crazy print for pillows on the bed though -- you have a bold pattern, so something simple would be good.

I love decorating, but I still have to do a lot of trial and error!

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home