URL: http://api.my.yahoo.com/rss/ping Parameter(s): u= HTTP method: GET Mama's Doodles: Coloring Pages

8.30.2007

Coloring Pages

I've also posted this on Kenzie's doodles , so you can save yourself a few seconds if you've already read it over there!



I'm taking a brave step into using my photoshop program. I'd like to play around with digital illustration, but I find the whole photoshop process terribly overwhelming. Today, while playing around I discovered that I can create coloring pages from digital photographs in just a few steps. Kenzie prefers this one, although there were other photos better suited to the process.

To make your own coloring pages:
1. Open an image in Photoshop and size to fit your paper. I've been using an 8x8 size.
2. Create a "duplicate layer."
3. Make sure your foreground is set to black and the background is set to white.
4. Go to Filter--> Sketch --> Photocopy and adjust the detail and darkness settings.
5. Clean up the image by adjusting the levels. Go to Layers--> New Adjustment Layer --> Levels and move the slides accordingly until the image is crisp.
6. Print!!

*** You may need to tweak these directions depending on the photo. Some photos required that I "reverse" the image with: Image>Adjust>Invert. Whatever, the case - don't ask me!! I'm truly a photoshop novice.

I'm imagining coloring books, which would be supersweet gifts to cousins or a great memento of a birthday party or other big event... You could create a book of family members that aren't seen as frequently as you'd like... This could be a fun playdate activity, etc.

We're off to color Kenzie some purple hair!!

**P.S. I'm sure this a "been there done that" concept for many of you. I, however, was thrilled to end up with anything usable from my first photoshop experience. :)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

COOL! I have got to get Photoshop. I keep seeing these great projects people are doing, and I feel so out of the loop :-(

7:13 PM  
Blogger Heidijayhawk said...

trying it right now stacey!!!

8:24 PM  
Blogger amy h said...

That's a fun idea! I'll have to file that away in my brain. We're still more in scribbling mode than coloring mode.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Thanks for the nice post last week- I have to admit that as a lurker to your blog(s) for almost a year, I've had the same feeling of synchronization. I'm glad I got the courage to comment and show my admiration for your work as an artist and as a parent. :)

11:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just found your blog. Thanks for sharing this info. I am definitely going to give this a try.

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home