URL: http://api.my.yahoo.com/rss/ping Parameter(s): u= HTTP method: GET Mama's Doodles: A Bowl

9.17.2007

A Bowl



...am using Little Hut's inspiration on how to make a bowl out of magazine pages. I hope to make this a big bowl(ish)-basket to sit on a new bench in my foyer. I wish I'd gotten more done during my daughter's nap today - because my husband is gonna think I'm nuts when he gets home and sees the WIP.

***

This mindless little activity has also given me pause to think. I know this discussion has been had many times, and I don't wish to re-ignite the debate.. really. But, I'm pretty vocal and I'm not going to ignore what I just saw.

Dear Copycat:
Today I visited your blog - that I don't often visit. I found it many moons ago via my statcounter which reflected that you shared my link on your site. You also "favorited" a few things of mine on flickr, but left no comments. So, you may not have known it - but I noticed you were watching me, & taking notes. I also noticed you'd removed my link from your site today. Hmnn. That's interesting given the fact that you've pretty blatantly just copied a product that so far is pretty unique to me, ME, Me!

So, assuming you still come by this space - I'd like to offer you the following about copying:
1. give credit where it's due. People are flattered when you do this (usually), not pissed at the shadiness of your misleading presentation.
2. Don't imply that it's your own idea.. a "product of your imagination" as you called it. I mean, what if the real imagination sees it and throws you under the bus?
3. Don't ever sell anything that is a blatant copy. You haven't yet. But, just don't (as your words implied you might).
4. And, really, did you have to make it so obvious? There is a rainbow of colors, a zillion means of embellishment. Um..or I don't know - maybe using a different animal that's not been done before?

Yes, I am miffed by what I saw. But, if you'd just follow the advice above - I may be thinking you're super cool rather than... the really ugly thoughts I'm trying not to type out loud right now.

I plan to leave you a comment on your site - when I can get my act together and not be so mad. I'd be thrilled to see that you've changed your song...

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger patricia zapata said...

Hi Stacy - I just found your blog today - through the link you posted to my blog. Thanks for the mention! I'm so glad that you're starting a bowl and it would be great to see it finished.

Side note: I've been on the "copied" end of your scenario, where you're at right now, and I can totally relate to how you're feeling. So sorry that it's happened to you and I hope it gets resolved.

7:20 PM  
Blogger laura capello said...

all the cool kids get copy cats. ::sulking::

in any case, i hope the person gets her (his?) act together an apologizes. where's the fun in stealing someone else's creativity?

8:02 PM  
Blogger superminx said...

that sucks about being copied (who who who???). I always wonder when people favourite things on Flickr what their motivation is... mind you, I do it too for inspiration. Not that I get 'round to making anything these days :-). Hope you sort it out!

btw yes I was in an all-girl band many years ago, and also recorded my own stuff up until I got pregnant with my first-born... :-) (Now I just play GuitarHero on PS2 - SO SAD!)

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dirty dog...

8:44 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Wow...I can totally sympathize with you on this. About a year ago, I had my very own little copycat, who not only used my pattern (albeit badly) but copied elements from my web site as well. Long story short, I paid for a lawyer to send a cease and desist letter, after my nice attempts to stop her failed, and she became somewhat belligerent. (A sure sign she knew she was in the wrong IMHO.)

Good luck with this. I hope you won't have to get all legal on her!

8:50 PM  
Blogger Shena Leonard said...

Hi -
Did you mention Kenzie just started pre-school too? Riley has a great time there, but never wants to go back and leave us - very apprehensive about that... He cries when we leave - although the teachers say he is ok in 3 -5 minutes.

it's breaking my heart. )=

Any suggestions???
Shena

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did this person copy? Now I'm all curious and nosy. :) Sorry that happened though!

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That stinks. I hope it gets resolved quickly. Every time one of these weird bloggy battles starts up I just think how much of a bummer it must be for the blogger. I mean, who wants to share on a blog if you are going to have your ideas taken?

9:12 AM  
Blogger Nora said...

That copycat stuff really makes me mad. But you only have to spend just a bit of time out on etsy to see people copying other peoples stuff. I'm so sorry for you. I wish there was an equivilent of a cyber punch or something...

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home