URL: http://api.my.yahoo.com/rss/ping Parameter(s): u= HTTP method: GET Mama's Doodles: Tootin' our horn

9.17.2007

Tootin' our horn

As distraction, from the negativity from my last post.. I swiped this meme from Mayfly.

1. Do you promote your blog?

No I don’t. I'm very shy about my blogging habit. Some of my friends "get it." Most of the others, however give the distinct impression that it is a very self-indulgent activity. It kind of goes along with that "Ah, she's a housewife who sits at home all day, eating bonbons ...and blogging" kind of assumption.

Oddly, I'm a fairly self confident person in most regards. But, I do feel less self-assured about my creativity & skills. When I do tell folks about my blog - I feel like I'm claiming to be a better artist than I am. So, I kind of keep it to myself. I think this self-doubt was born in my undergraduate BFA program. Critiques HURT!

2. How often do you check hits?

Embarrassingly frequently. At least once a day. I try to remain aware of who's visiting my Kenzie's doodles site and how they got there. I'm always on the ready to make that blog "private" and for that reason - I'm watchful of the stats. A bit on the neurotic side of watchful, that is...

3. Do you stick to one topic?

I'm primarily a project blogger on Mama's Doodles and a mommy blogger on Kenzie's doodles. Every once in awhile I cross the boundaries on both sites. I wanted to keep Kenzie's stuff separate since I suck at scrapbooking, and consider the blog her only lifebook. For that reason alone - I run the two sites. I tend to have other non-project oriented thoughts that I'd like to post here on mama's doodles, but time doesn't afford me the ability to do it.

What the hell do I do for the second kiddo? Does this mean I have to start a third blog??

4. Who knows that you have a blog?

All of my family knows, because while we lived in California - it was an excellent vehicle for keeping them involved in our lives. Ahem, it does seem that they quickly lost interest though. A select few of my friends know, as I don't openly admit it. My husband actually tells more people about the blog than I do. And, it embarrasses the hell out of me when he does.

5. How many blogs do you read?


It astounded me to learn that I subscribe to 127 blogs through bloglines. However, I don't do well at eliminating links as they die or change, so a significant number of those are bogus. There are two timeframes per day that I can read blogs. Which means - I'm terrible at commenting, unless there is something I really want to say.

6. Are you a fast reader?

Yes. Very. However, I only "read" posts at blogs that I find consistently interesting. Of the vast majority - I just glance at the pretty pictures and move on.

7. Do you customize your blog or do anything technical?


Yes, I also like to run headfirst straight into brick walls. I find that both are equally fun and give me great headaches. I'm not very good or sophisticated with my Html though (as you can see).

8. Do you blog anonymously?

No, but I wish I had thought about doing so when I started. I use our first names only and try not to overtly announce our actual location.

9. To what extent do you censor yourself?


Since my family could visit at any moment, I can’t really rant or even be honest sometimes. I also don't want to spew negativity on my daughter's blog.

Ultimately, I think this keeps my blog a generally friendly & happy place to be. My life is good though, so it's not all a terrible lie. :)

10. The best thing about blogging?

Connecting. I have a very large core group of long-time friends, (some of which belong to me and some were acquired through my husband. But, because we run in so many social circles, I feel like we don't know the majority of those people intimately. Nor will we ever - if we keep up our current social calendar.

My blog has created a new and unique support network of like-minded people. I’m inspired daily - to create, to think. Thank you, to each of you. The experience is very valuable to me!


Kenzie tootin' our horn(s)

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger beki said...

I really like this meme, thanks for sharing. I plan on posting mine tonight.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Shena Leonard said...

Hi -

Very interesting entry - especially the "what do I do for the second kid" (= I have found a few sites that will print blogs and I thought that was a cool idea since I am so behind inscrapbooks myself! But, the places I found said they don't print blogger - have you seen anywhere that does?

I also noticed you can check hits on your blog - I'm pretty new to the blogging arena, can you tell me how to do that?

Thanks!!
Shena (=

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Baby doodles... a new blogging adventure. Like you'll have time to keep up with the two you have. :)

3:50 PM  
Blogger Shena Leonard said...

Hi -
I dropped you an e-mail. Let me know if you don't get it so I can send it again. You never know, I'm a bad typist. (=
Shena

7:23 PM  
Blogger Heidijayhawk said...

i love this meme. one of my favs.

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found you through Maize- hello! I just had to comment about this post... loved reading it! I felt like you read my mind with #1...

Have a great weekend!

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home