URL: http://api.my.yahoo.com/rss/ping Parameter(s): u= HTTP method: GET Mama's Doodles: Where is Pippy the Skunk?

9.09.2008

Where is Pippy the Skunk?

Two of my clan went on a father-daughter camping trip -in the rain- last weekend. And, I had lofty goals. I got so little done around the demanding babe - yet I've still got the grins from the little accomplishments.

I've got fresh pics of my sillies throughout the home now, and I like very much the feeling of newness everywhere I look.



I've always loved this montage. It's something I started in California - and it's how Kenzie knew her family, even though we infrequently saw them. It's solely black and whites, wonkily arranged in an organic form. The big photos are 8x10, so it's really quite large as a whole. The montage is the view from our front door when you glance up the staircase. It's the last thing the kids see as we walk them to bed. They can tell Nana's, Poppy & "Unca" Chance goodnight, each night on the way by. The photos have all been taken by myself or Doug. Some of them aren't even the most fabulous shots, but they all have a special memory or feeling we are trying to preserve for another moment. I swap fresh ones in ..and keep the outdated collection in an album dating back to Kenzie's birth. I think it's one of my most brilliant ideas. ever.



In mulling over the changing seasons -- I must admit I'm feeling gloomy about fall and winter already. In effort to keep myself from sinking into that pit, I'm going to make a better effort here at this blogging thing. I definitely feel like celebrating the small stuff more, ..when.. I actually celebrate it with a blog post. Those little daily doodles might just freshen up the naked trees and dirty snow, when that time comes. Blogging seems to give me a fresher perspective when little things are new.. just as the updated montage has done for the house. Completed projects, inspirations, fresh posts. It's so satisfying.

I've also been piddling with some artwork...but due to licensing contracts...I won't be able to share it until it goes live. Pooh. That's what I need to master --> the art of the unbloggable. Hmnnn. It feels like daily, I organize a post in my mind and the next thing I know I'm distracted by a certain 4 year olds exclamation (an example was heard as I was typing that last sentence) "MoOOOooM. Where's Pippy the Skunk?"

Huh, where IS Pippy the skunk, and who the hell is THAT anyway??
Suddenly, my lofty blogging goal is sidetracked by the mundane.

Today's weather report feels partly whiney with a 89% chance of manic household childproofing. 0% chance at creativity.

How do YOU do it? So many of you manage lovely blogs full of creative daily whimsies while I'm distracted in pooey diapers and missing skunks. Do tell how you make each day lovely on your blog despite the same challenges. Because now that Pippy the Skunk has crawled out of a pile of Moon Sand and is now busily mutilating Mum's plants, it's time to go feed a certain baby some mushy baby food. And, the blog must wait. "I" must wait. But, hopefully, your wisdoms will be inspiring to this tired Mama.... I'm ready. Lay it on me. Please.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

I try not to take up any time on my blog, but can usually get snippets read while my kids color and draw. My oldest just started going back to preschool and even though she regularly gets the crayons taken away, will always choose to color. I consider myself lucky!

5:26 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Love the picture wall, by the way!

5:27 PM  
Blogger Joanne : The Simple Wife said...

Hey Stacy,

Hang in there...it does get easier.

And I think you figured it out on your own--celebrate the small stuff. A laundry basket filled with clean, folded clothes. A baby's smile. The pictures on your wall. Something funny your little one says.

Joanne

6:16 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Gosh, I wish that I had some words of advice, but I'm in need of that too!! I've been in a creative funk for weeks now ... I find it hard to juggle potty training my 3-year old, my 9-year old's social/activity calendar, housework up to my "you-know-what" - all while trying to put brush to paper in a most creative way ... I'm still trying though. So, you're not alone. I will tell you - blogs such as yours are what keep me inspired and driven to be the best that I can be in all facets of my life - one day at a time, of course. Even when you are losing skunks and changing diapers - your sharing is what keeps others feeling that "hey, it's okay ... we're all in the same boat!" Interesting company is what makes life charming. Thanks for being that!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

My blogs are far from lovely everyday. I wonder the same from all of the super-d-duper crafty bloggers. I just keep telling myself that its a process. One day I may have a fabulously lovely crafty blog too:) I think the key,as it always seems to be, is balance. I do my best work when I take the pressure off. The more concerned I get that I haven't had a good post, more harder it is to produce one.

Being a mom is a FULL time job. Pippy, mushy food and stinky diapers just simply can't wait. It does get easier as your kids get older...I can certainly vouch for that!

So sit back, take the diapers and skunk search and rescue in stride and let the creativity flow...when you get a minute. I love your blog and all its creativity. You are inspiring to me.

Love the photos by the way. My upstairs hallway desperately needs something. I think I may borrow this brilliant idea!

8:43 AM  
Blogger beki said...

Oh gosh Stacy, you're not alone, that's for sure! I think one of the best things about this whole blogging experience is how we cheer each other on. Yes, do celebrate the small things, because that's what it's really about ;-) When you try to focus too much on the big, finished projects, it can overwhelm you, or at least it does me. Hang in there!!

10:12 AM  
Blogger misschris said...

I wonder how they do it too.

I only get posts done when the kids are at school. Sometimes my drafts go on for days. Sometimes I put photos in the drafts beforehand and then go back to write.

I started feeling the same way at one point and realized it really wasn't just one blogger that was making me feel like I couldn't get it done, but I was interpreting the cumulative effort of everyone's work as something I could never keep up with. And then I smacked myself in the head and told myself to get over it. The last thing I want is for my own hobby to become some kind of keeping-up competition. *sigh*

It is just hard when you are juggling young kiddos at home; you just can't get much done. But I tell you what, once Fidge started sleeping through the night, it made everything a lot easier. How's Ry-man doing with that, anyway?

Hugs to you. And congrats again on the little side project. I can't wait to see what you've been up to. kisses....

12:15 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Love your wall of pictures! We just finished repainting our living and dining room and have talked about using our own photographs on the walls as new decorations.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That wall is awesome. I need to do that in our upstairs hallway!

Yeah, if you figure it out let me know. I haven't made anything in weeks (besides photos) but I'm starting to get the itch. Maybe that's a good sign.

I got your email. I'll talk to B and see what he thinks and I'll email you about the park. :)

5:14 PM  
Blogger Michele Kovack said...

Love the photo montage!!! Beautiful!

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home